BJP attacks J&K government over security of village heads
Jammu: A day after 20 village heads of Baramulla district quit citing security reasons, opposition BJP in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday alleged Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s claims of strengthening democracy have been exposed and he "should stop misleading people."
BJP state president and MLA Jugal Kishore Sharma said, "Omar Abdullah`s high claims of strengthening democracy in JK stand exposed as a result of the killings followed by resignations by sarpanchs and panchs."
"Chief Minister Omar Abdullah should take responsibility for the safety of panchs and sarpanchs and stop misleading the people on the name of empowerment of panchayats," Sharma told reporters here.
Sharma said already 33 sarpanchs and panchs have resigned and more are under pressure to quit due to militant threats.
He alleged that the CM, instead of taking immediate steps to ensure safety of sarpanchs and panchs, is "misleading" by saying that these killings are motivated and surrendered militants are involved.
"Even if the killers are surrendered militants, it is the CM`s responsibility to bring them to book," he added.
Suspected militants on Friday shot dead a sarpanch, Habibullah Mir at Goripora village in Sopore town while a woman panchayat member Zoonaa Begum was shot and injured inside her house at Hardshiva Sopore on Saturday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up