BJP attacks J&K government over security of village heads
Jammu: A day after 20 village heads of Baramulla district quit citing security reasons, opposition BJP in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday alleged Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s claims of strengthening democracy have been exposed and he "should stop misleading people."
BJP state president and MLA Jugal Kishore Sharma said, "Omar Abdullah`s high claims of strengthening democracy in JK stand exposed as a result of the killings followed by resignations by sarpanchs and panchs."
"Chief Minister Omar Abdullah should take responsibility for the safety of panchs and sarpanchs and stop misleading the people on the name of empowerment of panchayats," Sharma told reporters here.
Sharma said already 33 sarpanchs and panchs have resigned and more are under pressure to quit due to militant threats.
He alleged that the CM, instead of taking immediate steps to ensure safety of sarpanchs and panchs, is "misleading" by saying that these killings are motivated and surrendered militants are involved.
"Even if the killers are surrendered militants, it is the CM`s responsibility to bring them to book," he added.
Suspected militants on Friday shot dead a sarpanch, Habibullah Mir at Goripora village in Sopore town while a woman panchayat member Zoonaa Begum was shot and injured inside her house at Hardshiva Sopore on Saturday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena