BJP attacks J&K government over security of village heads
Jammu: A day after 20 village heads of Baramulla district quit citing security reasons, opposition BJP in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday alleged Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s claims of strengthening democracy have been exposed and he "should stop misleading people."
BJP state president and MLA Jugal Kishore Sharma said, "Omar Abdullah`s high claims of strengthening democracy in JK stand exposed as a result of the killings followed by resignations by sarpanchs and panchs."
"Chief Minister Omar Abdullah should take responsibility for the safety of panchs and sarpanchs and stop misleading the people on the name of empowerment of panchayats," Sharma told reporters here.
Sharma said already 33 sarpanchs and panchs have resigned and more are under pressure to quit due to militant threats.
He alleged that the CM, instead of taking immediate steps to ensure safety of sarpanchs and panchs, is "misleading" by saying that these killings are motivated and surrendered militants are involved.
"Even if the killers are surrendered militants, it is the CM`s responsibility to bring them to book," he added.
Suspected militants on Friday shot dead a sarpanch, Habibullah Mir at Goripora village in Sopore town while a woman panchayat member Zoonaa Begum was shot and injured inside her house at Hardshiva Sopore on Saturday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional