BJP calls for two-day shutdown in Kashmir
Kashmir: The Bharatiya Janata party (BJP), called for two-day shutdown in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday after former minister Sajjad Ahmad Kitchloo, who had resigned after Kishtwar riots, was re-inducted into the state cabinet.
The members of BJP`s youth wing were seen closing shops and halting the movement of vehicles in Jammu.
Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, NN Vohra, administered the oath of office and secrecy to Kitchloo, as junior minister, at a function held at Raj Bhavan in Jammu on Saturday.
Kitchloo had earlier resigned from his post after widespread communal violence gripped his constituency Kishtwar in August this year.
After filing his resignation, Kitchloo also ordered a judicial probe into the violence, which claimed three lives.
People have taken to the streets, strongly protesting against Kitchloo`s re-induction.
"The wounds of the people had not even healed, the flames of the burnt bodies, houses and shops were not even properly doused, and now the chief of Jammu and Kashmir has appointed Sajjad Kitchloo as the junior interior minister. We are not going to accept it by any means that a tainted man has been re-inducted as the Home Minister of our state," said chief of BJP`s youth wing, Ravinder Raina.
Kitchloo represents the Kishtwar constituency in the 87-member state assembly.
The Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, in pursuance of Rule 5 of the Jammu and Kashmir Government Business Rules, designated Kitchloo as a junior minister of Industries and Commerce.
Kitchloo would also be junior interior minister, Roads and Building, Housing and Urban Development, and Tourism and Culture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly