BJP calls for two-day shutdown in Kashmir
Kashmir: The Bharatiya Janata party (BJP), called for two-day shutdown in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday after former minister Sajjad Ahmad Kitchloo, who had resigned after Kishtwar riots, was re-inducted into the state cabinet.
The members of BJP`s youth wing were seen closing shops and halting the movement of vehicles in Jammu.
Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, NN Vohra, administered the oath of office and secrecy to Kitchloo, as junior minister, at a function held at Raj Bhavan in Jammu on Saturday.
Kitchloo had earlier resigned from his post after widespread communal violence gripped his constituency Kishtwar in August this year.
After filing his resignation, Kitchloo also ordered a judicial probe into the violence, which claimed three lives.
People have taken to the streets, strongly protesting against Kitchloo`s re-induction.
"The wounds of the people had not even healed, the flames of the burnt bodies, houses and shops were not even properly doused, and now the chief of Jammu and Kashmir has appointed Sajjad Kitchloo as the junior interior minister. We are not going to accept it by any means that a tainted man has been re-inducted as the Home Minister of our state," said chief of BJP`s youth wing, Ravinder Raina.
Kitchloo represents the Kishtwar constituency in the 87-member state assembly.
The Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, in pursuance of Rule 5 of the Jammu and Kashmir Government Business Rules, designated Kitchloo as a junior minister of Industries and Commerce.
Kitchloo would also be junior interior minister, Roads and Building, Housing and Urban Development, and Tourism and Culture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing