BJP calls for two-day shutdown in Kashmir
Kashmir: The Bharatiya Janata party (BJP), called for two-day shutdown in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday after former minister Sajjad Ahmad Kitchloo, who had resigned after Kishtwar riots, was re-inducted into the state cabinet.
The members of BJP`s youth wing were seen closing shops and halting the movement of vehicles in Jammu.
Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, NN Vohra, administered the oath of office and secrecy to Kitchloo, as junior minister, at a function held at Raj Bhavan in Jammu on Saturday.
Kitchloo had earlier resigned from his post after widespread communal violence gripped his constituency Kishtwar in August this year.
After filing his resignation, Kitchloo also ordered a judicial probe into the violence, which claimed three lives.
People have taken to the streets, strongly protesting against Kitchloo`s re-induction.
"The wounds of the people had not even healed, the flames of the burnt bodies, houses and shops were not even properly doused, and now the chief of Jammu and Kashmir has appointed Sajjad Kitchloo as the junior interior minister. We are not going to accept it by any means that a tainted man has been re-inducted as the Home Minister of our state," said chief of BJP`s youth wing, Ravinder Raina.
Kitchloo represents the Kishtwar constituency in the 87-member state assembly.
The Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, in pursuance of Rule 5 of the Jammu and Kashmir Government Business Rules, designated Kitchloo as a junior minister of Industries and Commerce.
Kitchloo would also be junior interior minister, Roads and Building, Housing and Urban Development, and Tourism and Culture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday