`BJP committed to give 33% reservation to women`
Jammu: Charging the former Congress-led UPA government of "betraying women by not giving reservation to them in decision-making bodies", BJP on Saturday said it was committed to political empowerment of the fairer sex by granting 33 per cent reservation to them.
"Congress-led UPA government has betrayed the women by not granting reservation to them in decision-making bodies. BJP is committed to political empowerment of the women by granting them 33 per cent reservation," BJP Mahila Morcha National President Saroj Pandey told reporters here today.
Pandey said BJP has all along stood for providing reservation to women in Parliament, state assemblies and other similar bodies.
"BJP has already granted reservation to women in its organisational set-up and shall in the near future, work towards reservation for them in elected bodies," she said.
"It is unfortunate that Congress was never in favour of such provisions for women and its assertions of standing for gender equality were only election gimmicks," she added.
Replying to a question on BJP`s poll slogan "achche din aayenge" (good days will come), Pandey said people should not get mislead by propaganda of Congress and its allies against the party and instead give some reasonable time to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to achieve the goal of good days.
"The ill effects of accumulated wrongs, misgovernance, corruption and scams of astronomical proportions committed during the past 60 years cannot be undone in just 6 or 60 days," she said.
Talking about sexual offences, Pandey advocated severe punishment for such crimes and said people`s faith in the law of the land need to be strengthened.
"It is essential that the faith of the society and especially of the women folk must be restored in the rule of law and all the cases of sexual offences must be tried through fast-track courts for early punishment to the culprits," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert