BJP demands compensation of Rs 25 lakh to family of Chamel
Jammu: BJP on Friday demanded compensation of Rs 25 lakh to the family of Indian prisoner Chamel Singh who was attacked and beaten to death by inmates in a Pakistani jail and said, he should be granted the status of a martyr.
"A compensation of Rs 25 lakh has been demanded for the family members of Chamel Singh who died in Kot Lakhpat Jail on January 15 this year after inmates attacked him and beat him to death," Rajya Sabha MP Avinash Rai Khanna, who is looking after the Jammu Kashmir affairs of the party, said today.
In his letter to President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, Khanna has appreciated efforts of the government in giving a sum of Rs 25 lakh to the family of Sarabjit Singh, who was brutally beaten in Kot Lakhpat Jail and later on succumbed to his injuries on the early morning of May 2.
Khanna also expressed in his letter that Pakistan government has violated Human Rights norms.
Vital organs were removed before handing over the body of Chamel Singh to his family by Pakistani authorities after two months of his death, the MP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing