BJP demands compensation of Rs 25 lakh to family of Chamel
Jammu: BJP on Friday demanded compensation of Rs 25 lakh to the family of Indian prisoner Chamel Singh who was attacked and beaten to death by inmates in a Pakistani jail and said, he should be granted the status of a martyr.
"A compensation of Rs 25 lakh has been demanded for the family members of Chamel Singh who died in Kot Lakhpat Jail on January 15 this year after inmates attacked him and beat him to death," Rajya Sabha MP Avinash Rai Khanna, who is looking after the Jammu Kashmir affairs of the party, said today.
In his letter to President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, Khanna has appreciated efforts of the government in giving a sum of Rs 25 lakh to the family of Sarabjit Singh, who was brutally beaten in Kot Lakhpat Jail and later on succumbed to his injuries on the early morning of May 2.
Khanna also expressed in his letter that Pakistan government has violated Human Rights norms.
Vital organs were removed before handing over the body of Chamel Singh to his family by Pakistani authorities after two months of his death, the MP said.
- Bachchans, SRK, Salman attend Bipasha-Karan Singh Grover’s wedding reception
- 33 rescued lions arrive in South Africa in airlift
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover set floor ablaze with killer moves at wedding reception – Watch here
- Petrol, diesel-run cabs banned from Delhi-NCR roads from today
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution