BJP demands empowerment of Panchayati Raj system in J&K
Jammu: BJP on Monday sat on a dharna in Jammu
demanding implementation of 73rd and 74th Amendments of the
Panchayati Raj, aiming at devolution of powers of planning
to councils at district, block and village level, ahead of
the Panchayat elections in Jammu and Kashmir.
Led by its national executive member and former JK BJP
chief Nirmal Singh, BJP activists sat on dharna in front of
the press club and accused the government of deliberately not
empowering the Panchayat Raj system in the state.
"Panchayat elections should be held after implementing
the 73rd and 74th amendment of Panchayat Raj system", Singh
The protesters said it is strange that though J&K is an
integral part of India, the 73rd and 74th amendment which have
been implemented in all other states, are not applicable in
J&K. It is a mockery of democracy, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months