BJP demands empowerment of Panchayati Raj system in J&K
Jammu: BJP on Monday sat on a dharna in Jammu
demanding implementation of 73rd and 74th Amendments of the
Panchayati Raj, aiming at devolution of powers of planning
to councils at district, block and village level, ahead of
the Panchayat elections in Jammu and Kashmir.
Led by its national executive member and former JK BJP
chief Nirmal Singh, BJP activists sat on dharna in front of
the press club and accused the government of deliberately not
empowering the Panchayat Raj system in the state.
"Panchayat elections should be held after implementing
the 73rd and 74th amendment of Panchayat Raj system", Singh
The protesters said it is strange that though J&K is an
integral part of India, the 73rd and 74th amendment which have
been implemented in all other states, are not applicable in
J&K. It is a mockery of democracy, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city