BJP demands special package for people at IB
Jammu: Several BJP leaders Tuesday courted arrest with scores of others over demands for a special economic package for people dwelling along the International Border (IB) in Jammu region.
Among those arrested at the conclusion of a three-day dharna in favour of those living near the IB in Chachwal in Kathua district were the BJP`s National Executive Member and Chief Spokesperson for J&K, Dr Jitendra Singh, and the party`s state president and MLA, Jugal Kishore Sharma.
The dharna was being led by senior BJP leader, Thakur Ranjit Singh.
Also arrested were the party`s state General Secretary Rajiv Jasrotia, state spokesperson Sanjiv Sharma, and several prominent party activists.
The dharna was held in support of the demand for a special economic package for regions lying on the International Border.
It also sought removal of discrimination for the people there in recruitment to the central security forces, and called for infrastructural improvements in the power and water supply situation.
The protesters also demanded payment of compensation for being denied access to their fields and lands lying beyond the border fencing.
Speaking on the occasion, Sharma alleged that the state government was denying benefits to these people which it routinely provided to the people living near the LoC on account of its sectarian bias.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Member of J&K Constituent Assembly Peerzada Ghulam Jeelani passes away
- One of the suspects arrested in the Maidservant rape case in Thane
- Haryana RS elections: Experts question delay in raising objection to Election Commission
- WATCH: This is how Iceland celebrated victory over England with their fans. Goosebumps!
- Guess who? Angered by film failure, this actor breaks hotel furniture