BJP demands special package for people at IB
Jammu: Several BJP leaders Tuesday courted arrest with scores of others over demands for a special economic package for people dwelling along the International Border (IB) in Jammu region.
Among those arrested at the conclusion of a three-day dharna in favour of those living near the IB in Chachwal in Kathua district were the BJP`s National Executive Member and Chief Spokesperson for J&K, Dr Jitendra Singh, and the party`s state president and MLA, Jugal Kishore Sharma.
The dharna was being led by senior BJP leader, Thakur Ranjit Singh.
Also arrested were the party`s state General Secretary Rajiv Jasrotia, state spokesperson Sanjiv Sharma, and several prominent party activists.
The dharna was held in support of the demand for a special economic package for regions lying on the International Border.
It also sought removal of discrimination for the people there in recruitment to the central security forces, and called for infrastructural improvements in the power and water supply situation.
The protesters also demanded payment of compensation for being denied access to their fields and lands lying beyond the border fencing.
Speaking on the occasion, Sharma alleged that the state government was denying benefits to these people which it routinely provided to the people living near the LoC on account of its sectarian bias.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch