BJP demands special package for people at IB
Jammu: Several BJP leaders Tuesday courted arrest with scores of others over demands for a special economic package for people dwelling along the International Border (IB) in Jammu region.
Among those arrested at the conclusion of a three-day dharna in favour of those living near the IB in Chachwal in Kathua district were the BJP`s National Executive Member and Chief Spokesperson for J&K, Dr Jitendra Singh, and the party`s state president and MLA, Jugal Kishore Sharma.
The dharna was being led by senior BJP leader, Thakur Ranjit Singh.
Also arrested were the party`s state General Secretary Rajiv Jasrotia, state spokesperson Sanjiv Sharma, and several prominent party activists.
The dharna was held in support of the demand for a special economic package for regions lying on the International Border.
It also sought removal of discrimination for the people there in recruitment to the central security forces, and called for infrastructural improvements in the power and water supply situation.
The protesters also demanded payment of compensation for being denied access to their fields and lands lying beyond the border fencing.
Speaking on the occasion, Sharma alleged that the state government was denying benefits to these people which it routinely provided to the people living near the LoC on account of its sectarian bias.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal