BJP demands special package for people at IB
Jammu: Several BJP leaders Tuesday courted arrest with scores of others over demands for a special economic package for people dwelling along the International Border (IB) in Jammu region.
Among those arrested at the conclusion of a three-day dharna in favour of those living near the IB in Chachwal in Kathua district were the BJP`s National Executive Member and Chief Spokesperson for J&K, Dr Jitendra Singh, and the party`s state president and MLA, Jugal Kishore Sharma.
The dharna was being led by senior BJP leader, Thakur Ranjit Singh.
Also arrested were the party`s state General Secretary Rajiv Jasrotia, state spokesperson Sanjiv Sharma, and several prominent party activists.
The dharna was held in support of the demand for a special economic package for regions lying on the International Border.
It also sought removal of discrimination for the people there in recruitment to the central security forces, and called for infrastructural improvements in the power and water supply situation.
The protesters also demanded payment of compensation for being denied access to their fields and lands lying beyond the border fencing.
Speaking on the occasion, Sharma alleged that the state government was denying benefits to these people which it routinely provided to the people living near the LoC on account of its sectarian bias.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH