BJP extends support to lawyers` indefinite strike in Jammu
Jammu: BJP on Thursday announced its full support to the lawyers` indefinite strike over their demand for suspension of "erring cops" and an impartial probe into the alleged assault of an advocate by police here.
The strike entered its 7th day today paralysing the working of judiciary in Jammu, including the High Court.
"We fully support the striking lawyers. The government has no concern for the lawyers` fraternity as it is standing on prestige issue in respect of suspension of the erring cops and impartial inquiry," BJP state general secretary and former mayor Kavinder Gupta told reporters here.
"It is a matter of great regret that an advocate was ill-treated and illegally confined for long time in police station," he said, adding that "the attitude of the police department in this matter is saddening."
Meanwhile, the striking lawyers held protests today and demanded an immediate suspension of erring cops and an impartial probe in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets