BJP extends support to lawyers` indefinite strike in Jammu
Jammu: BJP on Thursday announced its full support to the lawyers` indefinite strike over their demand for suspension of "erring cops" and an impartial probe into the alleged assault of an advocate by police here.
The strike entered its 7th day today paralysing the working of judiciary in Jammu, including the High Court.
"We fully support the striking lawyers. The government has no concern for the lawyers` fraternity as it is standing on prestige issue in respect of suspension of the erring cops and impartial inquiry," BJP state general secretary and former mayor Kavinder Gupta told reporters here.
"It is a matter of great regret that an advocate was ill-treated and illegally confined for long time in police station," he said, adding that "the attitude of the police department in this matter is saddening."
Meanwhile, the striking lawyers held protests today and demanded an immediate suspension of erring cops and an impartial probe in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj