BJP for immediate ban on construction along river banks in J&K
Jammu: In view of the recent natural calamity in Uttarakhand, BJP on Sunday demanded an immediate ban on any construction alongside river banks in Jammu and Kashmir.
Stressing on a balanced approach towards development of rivers and water bodies in the state, national co-convener of the party`s Kashmir cell, Chander Mohan Sharma said "There is need for early constitution of Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority in Jammu and Kashmir on the pattern of Uttarakhand to restore the past glory of all water bodies in the state and which would ensure all new constructions beyond the stipulated free area."
Pointing to the fragility of the state towards quakes, Sharma said there is an urgent need to regulate construction activity in the seismically fragile Himalayan region which includes entire Jammu and Kashmir and demanded removal of all encroachments alongside Tawi river.
"The Ministry of Environment and Forests should immediately come out with a long time policy on rivers and lake zones, so that construction on areas along river banks and lakes could be halted," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- US election is about more than beating Donald Trump: Senator Bernie Sanders
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports