BJP for immediate ban on construction along river banks in J&K
Jammu: In view of the recent natural calamity in Uttarakhand, BJP on Sunday demanded an immediate ban on any construction alongside river banks in Jammu and Kashmir.
Stressing on a balanced approach towards development of rivers and water bodies in the state, national co-convener of the party`s Kashmir cell, Chander Mohan Sharma said "There is need for early constitution of Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority in Jammu and Kashmir on the pattern of Uttarakhand to restore the past glory of all water bodies in the state and which would ensure all new constructions beyond the stipulated free area."
Pointing to the fragility of the state towards quakes, Sharma said there is an urgent need to regulate construction activity in the seismically fragile Himalayan region which includes entire Jammu and Kashmir and demanded removal of all encroachments alongside Tawi river.
"The Ministry of Environment and Forests should immediately come out with a long time policy on rivers and lake zones, so that construction on areas along river banks and lakes could be halted," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday