BJP for immediate ban on construction along river banks in J&K
Jammu: In view of the recent natural calamity in Uttarakhand, BJP on Sunday demanded an immediate ban on any construction alongside river banks in Jammu and Kashmir.
Stressing on a balanced approach towards development of rivers and water bodies in the state, national co-convener of the party`s Kashmir cell, Chander Mohan Sharma said "There is need for early constitution of Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority in Jammu and Kashmir on the pattern of Uttarakhand to restore the past glory of all water bodies in the state and which would ensure all new constructions beyond the stipulated free area."
Pointing to the fragility of the state towards quakes, Sharma said there is an urgent need to regulate construction activity in the seismically fragile Himalayan region which includes entire Jammu and Kashmir and demanded removal of all encroachments alongside Tawi river.
"The Ministry of Environment and Forests should immediately come out with a long time policy on rivers and lake zones, so that construction on areas along river banks and lakes could be halted," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves