BJP for immediate ban on construction along river banks in J&K
Jammu: In view of the recent natural calamity in Uttarakhand, BJP on Sunday demanded an immediate ban on any construction alongside river banks in Jammu and Kashmir.
Stressing on a balanced approach towards development of rivers and water bodies in the state, national co-convener of the party`s Kashmir cell, Chander Mohan Sharma said "There is need for early constitution of Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority in Jammu and Kashmir on the pattern of Uttarakhand to restore the past glory of all water bodies in the state and which would ensure all new constructions beyond the stipulated free area."
Pointing to the fragility of the state towards quakes, Sharma said there is an urgent need to regulate construction activity in the seismically fragile Himalayan region which includes entire Jammu and Kashmir and demanded removal of all encroachments alongside Tawi river.
"The Ministry of Environment and Forests should immediately come out with a long time policy on rivers and lake zones, so that construction on areas along river banks and lakes could be halted," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price