`BJP legislators cross-voted in J&K LC elections`
Jammu: Admitting the there was cross-voting
by some of its legislators during the elections to six seats
of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council, BJP on Thursday said the
act of its members has embarrassed the party and action would
be taken against those found guilty.
"Strict action would be taken against those found
responsible for the cross-voting," State BJP Chief Shamsher
Singh Manhas said.
In the election to six LC seats held yesterday, the
ruling NC-Congress combine won five seats while Opposition PDP
won one seat.
Out of the 88 votes polled for two seats of Jammu region,
winning candidates Choudhary Noor Hussain (NC) and Yashpaul
Khajuria (Congress), a former Minister, got 30 votes each -- 8
more than the coalition strength, the voting pattern revealed.
According to detailed analysis, four BJP legislators
voted for Hussain and three voted for Khajuria.
PDP candidate Bharat Bushan Khajuria got 21 votes from
PDP and three from NPP, and as one of the votes was held
invalid, he received a total of 23 votes.
BJP candidate Thakur Ranjit Singh got just four votes as
against the party`s strength of 11.
In order to win the two seats of Jammu region, two
candidates required 30 votes each, which the NC and Congress
nominees got allegedly with the help of seven votes of the BJP
as the alliance had only 52 votes in all including 29 of NC,
18 of Congress and five others which comprised Agriculture
Minister Ghulam Hassan Mir (DPN), M Y Tarigami (CPM), Hakim
Mohammad Yasin (PDF), Charanjit Singh and Tsetan Namgayal
Another Independent Ashwani Sharma voted for Congress
candidate Yashpaul Khajuria on the ground that the Congress
candidate was his relative. However, Sharma said he voted for
the BJP candidate on Poonch seat and abstained on Kashmir
Mohammad Ramzan, Secretary of J and K Assembly who was
the Returning Officer in yesterday`s election, said it was not
possible to point out as to which MLA had voted for a
"It`s a secret ballot and we will send the entire record
to the Election Commission of India," he said.
BJP chief whip Ashok Khajuria, who had issued a whip to
all 11 MLAs of the party to vote for the party`s candidates,
admitted that his whip was violated with impunity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical