BJP MLA walks out from Assembly over water supply to Katra town
Jammu: Lashing at the central and state
governments for turning down a mega water-supply project in
Katra town, a BJP legislator on Tuesday walked out from the Jammu
and Kashmir Legislative Assembly.
Raising the issue during the Zero Hour, BJP`s Reasi MLA,
Baldev Raj Sharma raised the demand of the shortage of water
supply to the town, which is the base camp for Mata Vaishnodevi
for the past several years.
He said that state government had decided to set up a
mega water supply project to cater to the needs of the town,
which is thronged by over 80 lakh pilgrims annually.
Responding to the protest, Minister for PHE, Irrigation
and Flood Control, Taj Mohideen said that the Central
Government has rejected the project and efforts are being made
to arrange funds to meet the water shortage.
Angered over this, the MLA stood up again and said that
the Centre and the State Government are discriminating with
Hindus shrines in the state and depriving the holy town of
required water supply would not only affect residents but also
pilgrims from across the country visiting the Katra town for
the Vaishno Devi yatra.
Sharma claimed that Katra requires 20 lakh gallons of
water per day to cater the pilgrims but it is getting only 3
lakh gallons and the devotees have to purchase water bottles.
He created uproar for a few minutes and later staged a
Meanwhile, the assembly was adjourned for ten minutes to
arrive at a consensus over the hike of salaries of Legislators
in the state.
Soon after the cut-motion, Deputy Speaker Sartaj Madani
adjourned the proceedings for 10 minutes to hold a meeting of
the legislators for arriving at a consensus.
The leaders of PDP, NC, Congress, JKNPP, JSM, PDF, CPIM
including the Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ali Mohd
Sagar, Deputy Chief Minsiter Tara Chand held a meeting in the
chambers of the Speaker.
Later the House resumed and Law and Parliamentary
Affairs Minister, Ali Mohammad Sagar brought bill with
amendments and tabled in the House. The bill was unanimously
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees