BJP, Panthers walk out of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly
Jammu: The members of Jammu-centric political parties on Friday walked out of the Jammu and Kashmir legislative assembly, protesting the resolution of the Pakistan National Assembly condemning the execution of Afzal Guru.
The Pakistan National Assembly Thursday condemned the execution of Afzal Guru, convicted of conspiracy that led to the terrorist attack on India`s Parliament House in 2001. The resolution also demanded that the body of Afzal Guru be returned to his family in Kashmir, for a "proper burial".
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Jammu Kashmir National Panthers Party (JKNPP) members raised the issue as the house assembled in the morning.
BJP member Ashok Khajuria said: "Pakistan is interfering in the internal affairs of India, and by passing this resolution, it (Pakistan) has given its stamp of approval to the terrorist attack on Indian Parliament. This also indicates that Pakistan was behind that attack."
Raising slogans against Pakistan`s resolution, the members of the Jammu-centric parties walked out of the state assembly.
Later, Khajuria told reporters outside the assembly that the National Conference (NC) led coalition government of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, in alliance with the Congress party, was "a big threat to the integrity and security of the country. Hence it should be immediately dismissed."
Afzal Guru was hanged to death Feb 9 after remaining on death row for about eight years. He was found guilty of plotting the attack on the Parliament House Dec 13, 2001. He was buried in Delhi`s Tihar Jail complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened