BJP starts campaign for legislative council polls in J&K
Jammu: The BJP on Monday sought to mobilise support of panchayat representatives in favour of party candidates for the upcoming election for Legislative Council from the panchayat quota.
BJP state chief Shamsher Singh Manhas along with senior leaders and MLAs kicked off the election campaign at a function organised in Ghagwal block of Samba district to muster the support of panchayat representatives.
The leaders claimed that a large number of sarpanches and panches have promised their support to party candidates Col Uttam Singh and Rashpal Verma who are contesting from the two seats of Jammu province.
Security of sarpanches and panches should be ensured and there should be no interference in the functioning of panchayats, Manhas said adding, the party has strongly backed the empowerment of panchayats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Man who tried shaking hands with lion sent to jail in Hyderabad
- Congress planning to digitalise photographs, speeches of Indira Gandhi
- Left, Congress threaten to skip Mamata's swearing-in, BJP to observe black day
- FSSAI to remove potassium bromate from food additives list
- French Open 2016: Stan Wawrinka escapes historic blow, Garbine Muguruza struggles