BJP to move NHRC against `apathy` of J&K govt towards Zanskar
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday said it will move NHRC
on the "discriminatory policies" of the Jammu and Kashmir
government against the people of Zanskar valley, who are
facing hardships due to the alleged apathy of the authorities.
"We assure the people of Zanskar that we will file a case
with NHRC within 15 days against the discriminatory policies
of the state and Central governments towards the region and
its people," BJP president Nitin Gadkari said at a programme
where party spokesperson Tarun Vijay presented him a report on
the plight of the people in Zanskar.
Vijay had recently visited Zanskar, situated on the
"Copies of this report will be given to Leader of the
Opposition in both Houses of Parliament, Sushma Swaraj (LS)
and Arun Jaitley (RS)...We will raise the matter in Parliament
as well and demand appropriate action," he said.
Expressing concern over the lack of development in the
region, Gadkari said the region remains cut-off from rest of
the country for seven months in a year as the roads leading
there become non-commutable due to rain and landslides.
"The state government is responsible for the situation as
it is not taking any measures to develop the area...Gross
injustice is being done to the innocent people of Zanskar due
to petty vote-bank politics," he said.
Vijay alleged the Omar Abdullah government is ignoring
the region by ensuring that no Buddhist won from Zanskar
assembly constituency, dominated by people of the community.
"Atrocious injustices have been meted out to these
people by Omar government on communal basis," he said.
"Even the Nimoo-Padum Darcha road, approved during the
NDA regime, has not been completed," the BJP spokesperson
A delegation of leaders from Zanskar, who was present on
the occasion, demanded completion of the Nimoo-Padum-Darcha
road, a separate assembly constituency for Zanskar, additional
councillor seats for the region in Ladakh Autonomous Hill
Development Council and separate district status for Zanskar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video