BJP workers clash with police during anti-govt protest in J&K
Jammu: BJP activists on Wednesday clashed with
police here when they tried to burn an effigy of Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah during a protest staged over a host of
issues including his perceived anti-India comments on the
accession of Jammu and Kashmir with the country, sources said.
More than 1,300 activists belonging to the BJP`s Mahila
Morcha and Yuva Morcha blocked road traffic for more than one and a half hours during the rally held in Janipur area. They
later clashed with police when they burnt an effigy of the
chief minister amid anti-government slogans, they added.
"We have started the next phase of the party’s
agitation programmes today over the anti-India statement
of the Chief Minister on accession of Jammu and Kashmir," BJP
State General Secretary Sat Sharma told reporters.
He said the BJP has chalked out a number of protest
demonstrations to be undertaken in a phased manner over a host
of issues besides Omar`s comments on the state`s accession to
India, such as rehabilitation of militants, delay in holding
delimitation in the state and step-motherly treatment to Jammu
in giving compensation to people affected during the 2008
Amarnath land transfer agitation.
Sharma said the party had launched agitations against the
government earlier this month by organising a massive Workers
Convention on November 20 in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days