BJP workers court arrest in Jammu
Jammu: Over 200 workers of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led by Smriti Irani, actress and president of the party women`s wing, courted arrest Friday in Jammu as part of their nationwide campaign to protest "price rise, corruption and failure of the ruling UPA government on all fronts".
Addressing the gathering at Dogra Chowk in the heart of Jammu city, Irani said, "Price rise, corruption and scams have broken the backbone of the common man, but in Jammu and Kashmir water scarcity and long, unscheduled power cuts are adding to the woes."
She was accompanied by Shamsher Singh Manhas, BJP state unit president, and other senior party members.
The protestors shouted slogans as they boarded buses while courting arrest.
Irani, talking to media persons on the BJP`s support to P.A. Sangma as a presidential candidate, said: "We are proud to back a tribal leader and hope he will win."
She dismissed the talk of division within the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance on the presidential election and said, "There is just difference of opinion, nothing else."
The BJP`s campaign of protests and courting arrest will continue for a fortnight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked