Block development council polls on Nov 7 in J&K
Srinagar: The Block Development Council (BDC) elections in Jammu and Kashmir will be held on November 7, the state election Commission said thursday.
J&K`s Chief Electoral Officer issued notification for polls to the BDCs on November 7, which will establish the second tier of the panchayati raj system.
The model code of conduct in the rural areas of the state came into effect with the issuance of the notification, an official spokesman said.
Sarpanchs and panchs in each of the 143 blocks will elect the members of the Block Development Council including a chairman.
As per the latest electoral rolls, there are 29,402 panchs and 4,098 sarpanchs in the state eligible to elect members to the councils from among themselves.
There will be 145 polling stations for these elections while the Chief Electoral Officer has appointed 143 Returning Officers and 145 Assistant Returning Officers, 145 Presiding and 290 Polling Officers to conduct the polls on November 7.
The counting of votes shall be conducted the same day after completion of polling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal