Block development council polls on Nov 7 in J&K
Srinagar: The Block Development Council (BDC) elections in Jammu and Kashmir will be held on November 7, the state election Commission said thursday.
J&K`s Chief Electoral Officer issued notification for polls to the BDCs on November 7, which will establish the second tier of the panchayati raj system.
The model code of conduct in the rural areas of the state came into effect with the issuance of the notification, an official spokesman said.
Sarpanchs and panchs in each of the 143 blocks will elect the members of the Block Development Council including a chairman.
As per the latest electoral rolls, there are 29,402 panchs and 4,098 sarpanchs in the state eligible to elect members to the councils from among themselves.
There will be 145 polling stations for these elections while the Chief Electoral Officer has appointed 143 Returning Officers and 145 Assistant Returning Officers, 145 Presiding and 290 Polling Officers to conduct the polls on November 7.
The counting of votes shall be conducted the same day after completion of polling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends