Block development council polls on Nov 7 in J&K
Srinagar: The Block Development Council (BDC) elections in Jammu and Kashmir will be held on November 7, the state election Commission said thursday.
J&K`s Chief Electoral Officer issued notification for polls to the BDCs on November 7, which will establish the second tier of the panchayati raj system.
The model code of conduct in the rural areas of the state came into effect with the issuance of the notification, an official spokesman said.
Sarpanchs and panchs in each of the 143 blocks will elect the members of the Block Development Council including a chairman.
As per the latest electoral rolls, there are 29,402 panchs and 4,098 sarpanchs in the state eligible to elect members to the councils from among themselves.
There will be 145 polling stations for these elections while the Chief Electoral Officer has appointed 143 Returning Officers and 145 Assistant Returning Officers, 145 Presiding and 290 Polling Officers to conduct the polls on November 7.
The counting of votes shall be conducted the same day after completion of polling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees