Block development council polls on Nov 7 in J&K
Srinagar: The Block Development Council (BDC) elections in Jammu and Kashmir will be held on November 7, the state election Commission said thursday.
J&K`s Chief Electoral Officer issued notification for polls to the BDCs on November 7, which will establish the second tier of the panchayati raj system.
The model code of conduct in the rural areas of the state came into effect with the issuance of the notification, an official spokesman said.
Sarpanchs and panchs in each of the 143 blocks will elect the members of the Block Development Council including a chairman.
As per the latest electoral rolls, there are 29,402 panchs and 4,098 sarpanchs in the state eligible to elect members to the councils from among themselves.
There will be 145 polling stations for these elections while the Chief Electoral Officer has appointed 143 Returning Officers and 145 Assistant Returning Officers, 145 Presiding and 290 Polling Officers to conduct the polls on November 7.
The counting of votes shall be conducted the same day after completion of polling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- US soldier killed in anti-Taliban battle in Afghanistan
- Liquor ban in Delhi not practical, says Deputy CM Manish Sisodia
- Duleep Trophy: India Green v India Red - Yuvraj Singh flops; Sandeep Sharma bags 4
- Easy money is spoiling cricketers: Glenn McGrath
- Mouth-watering! World's 'longest' Vada Pao made in Gurgaon