Block devpt council polls to be held next month
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government Tuesday said the election to block development councils, which will form second tier of Panchayati Raj, will be held next month.
"The notification for the election for 143 Block development councils will be issued on October 4 and the process will be completed by first week of November," Panchayati Raj Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar told reporters.
"The third tier of the Panchayati Raj system establishing the District councils will be done after the Block level polls. It will not take much time," Sagar said.
On the rising number of resignations by Panches and Sarpanches following killing of a Panch on Sunday, the minister said around 30 resignations had been received so far.
"We have directed the Home Commissioner and the Director General of Police to take whatever measures are required to ensure security of the Panches and Sarpanches," he said.
Sagar said security forces will be patrolling in areas where threat perception is more while night area domination exercises will also be carried out.
Asked if the government will provide personal security guards to the over 34,000 grassroot level representatives, Sagar said it cannot be done.
"We will provide personal security in those cases where it is inevitable. Otherwise, the effort of the government is to create an atmosphere of general security in the state," he said.
On the demand of coalition partner Congress for adopting 73rd amendment in the state, Sagar, who also holds the Law and Parliamentary Affairs portfolio, said the spirit of the amendment has already been implemented in the state through the Panchayati Raj Act of 1989 and two Cabinet orders.
"The essence of the 73rd amendment is to transfer funds, functions and functionaries to the Panchayats and we have already done this," he said.
Sagar said there was no crisis in the coalition government on this issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray