Block devpt council polls to be held next month
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government Tuesday said the election to block development councils, which will form second tier of Panchayati Raj, will be held next month.
"The notification for the election for 143 Block development councils will be issued on October 4 and the process will be completed by first week of November," Panchayati Raj Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar told reporters.
"The third tier of the Panchayati Raj system establishing the District councils will be done after the Block level polls. It will not take much time," Sagar said.
On the rising number of resignations by Panches and Sarpanches following killing of a Panch on Sunday, the minister said around 30 resignations had been received so far.
"We have directed the Home Commissioner and the Director General of Police to take whatever measures are required to ensure security of the Panches and Sarpanches," he said.
Sagar said security forces will be patrolling in areas where threat perception is more while night area domination exercises will also be carried out.
Asked if the government will provide personal security guards to the over 34,000 grassroot level representatives, Sagar said it cannot be done.
"We will provide personal security in those cases where it is inevitable. Otherwise, the effort of the government is to create an atmosphere of general security in the state," he said.
On the demand of coalition partner Congress for adopting 73rd amendment in the state, Sagar, who also holds the Law and Parliamentary Affairs portfolio, said the spirit of the amendment has already been implemented in the state through the Panchayati Raj Act of 1989 and two Cabinet orders.
"The essence of the 73rd amendment is to transfer funds, functions and functionaries to the Panchayats and we have already done this," he said.
Sagar said there was no crisis in the coalition government on this issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days