Bomb defused near Jammu
Jammu: The police in Jammu and Kashmir Thursday detected and defused a timebomb in a briefcase near a petrol pump in the Ranbir Singh Pura area, west of Jammu.
According to police, some people saw an abandoned brief case lying near a petrol pump in R.S. Pora area, about 25 km west of Jammu. They informed the police immediately.
The police cordoned off the area and called the bomb disposal squad, who found a bomb fitted with a timer.
An officer said: "The bomb has been diffused and the timely detection has averted a major tragedy as a petrol pump was nearby."
Security across the state is in high alert in view of annual Hindu pilgrimage to Amarnath Shrine in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider