Border trade: India, Pakistan exchange fruits, vegetables
Srinagar: Tensions between India and Pakistan over recent killing of soldiers may have erupted but it was business as usual at Uri check post in north Kashmir where trading continued smoothly with consignments of fruits being exchanged by both sides Friday.
Over 50 trucks carrying grapes, tomatoes and bananas crossed over from Uri`s check post into Pakistan occupied Kashmir while the other side sent apples and oranges, official sources said.
They said the gates at Kaman post at Uri were opened at normal timings and the Pakistani side also ensured timely clearance of the trucks carrying the loads.
From India, consignment of tomatoes, grapes and bananas was sent to Muzafarrabad, whereas from PoK, truck loads of apple, potatoes, onion and kinoo (oranges) was received, the sources said.
Trading was opened in Uri a day after Pakistan Army had refused to open the gates for allowing cross-LoC trade in Chakan-Da-Bagh crossing point in Poonch district in Jammu region.
As many as 25 trucks carrying goods mostly vegetables for traders in PoK were stranded at the checkpoint.
Tensions had mounted along the LoC after Pakistani Army brutally killed two Indian soldiers in Mendhar area of Poonch after which skirmishes were reported along the LoC.
Uri town has been witness to many ceasefire violations including the latest one on January 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery