Border trade: India, Pakistan exchange fruits, vegetables
Srinagar: Tensions between India and Pakistan over recent killing of soldiers may have erupted but it was business as usual at Uri check post in north Kashmir where trading continued smoothly with consignments of fruits being exchanged by both sides Friday.
Over 50 trucks carrying grapes, tomatoes and bananas crossed over from Uri`s check post into Pakistan occupied Kashmir while the other side sent apples and oranges, official sources said.
They said the gates at Kaman post at Uri were opened at normal timings and the Pakistani side also ensured timely clearance of the trucks carrying the loads.
From India, consignment of tomatoes, grapes and bananas was sent to Muzafarrabad, whereas from PoK, truck loads of apple, potatoes, onion and kinoo (oranges) was received, the sources said.
Trading was opened in Uri a day after Pakistan Army had refused to open the gates for allowing cross-LoC trade in Chakan-Da-Bagh crossing point in Poonch district in Jammu region.
As many as 25 trucks carrying goods mostly vegetables for traders in PoK were stranded at the checkpoint.
Tensions had mounted along the LoC after Pakistani Army brutally killed two Indian soldiers in Mendhar area of Poonch after which skirmishes were reported along the LoC.
Uri town has been witness to many ceasefire violations including the latest one on January 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister