BRO sets target of doubling and tarring of Manali-Leh highway
Keylong: Border Roads Organisation
has set a target of doubling and tarring more than 200-km of
the strategic Manali-Leh highway by 2012, a senior BRO
official said on Sunday.
"BRO has fixed a target of doubling and tarring of 222
km of the Manali-Leh route by the end of 2012. The distance
covered is between Manali and Sarchu on the highway," BRO
Commander S K Doon told reporters here. The Manali-Leh road
stretches about 400 km.
Doon said that in this year, 15 km of the road between
Sissu and Gondhla will be doubled and tarred. Work is expected
to start from April when the snow, which blocks the highway
during the winter, melts, he said.
On the opening of the Rohtang pass, Doon said that the
BRO will take a decision in the first week of March.
The senior official today flew into Stingri, near
Keylong, on a helicopter and distributed warm clothing to the
personnel. During winter, the minimum temperature here falls
to as low as minus 15 degree celsius.
He said bulldozer operators working in the Rohtang
area in winter would be provided "electric coat-trouser",
whose connection would be linked with the ignition button of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside