BRO sets target of doubling and tarring of Manali-Leh highway
Keylong: Border Roads Organisation
has set a target of doubling and tarring more than 200-km of
the strategic Manali-Leh highway by 2012, a senior BRO
official said on Sunday.
"BRO has fixed a target of doubling and tarring of 222
km of the Manali-Leh route by the end of 2012. The distance
covered is between Manali and Sarchu on the highway," BRO
Commander S K Doon told reporters here. The Manali-Leh road
stretches about 400 km.
Doon said that in this year, 15 km of the road between
Sissu and Gondhla will be doubled and tarred. Work is expected
to start from April when the snow, which blocks the highway
during the winter, melts, he said.
On the opening of the Rohtang pass, Doon said that the
BRO will take a decision in the first week of March.
The senior official today flew into Stingri, near
Keylong, on a helicopter and distributed warm clothing to the
personnel. During winter, the minimum temperature here falls
to as low as minus 15 degree celsius.
He said bulldozer operators working in the Rohtang
area in winter would be provided "electric coat-trouser",
whose connection would be linked with the ignition button of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail