BSF admits lapses by its men in Ramban firing incident
New Delhi: Certain "administrative lapses" have been found on the part of BSF personnel involved in last year`s Ramban firing in Jammu and the paramilitary forcde will soon begin trial of its six men in connection with the incident.
Sources said Border Security Force (BSF) took over the trial of the case from state government recently for conducting the proceedings against them under the BSF Act.
A Staff Court of Inquiry, which has just completed in the incident in which four people were killed and many injured, has found "administrative lapses" on the part of some officials, they said.
The incident had occured in July last year when BSF personnel fired on a crowd near the forces` company base in Ramban district of the state.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had condemned the firing saying such incidents had the potential to jeopardise peace in the state.
BSF had last year defended it men and saying they fired in self defence.
The force had claimed one Mohammed Latif, son of Mustafa and a resident of Dalwah in the area, had instigated the mob leading to the situation in which four people were killed and 44 others, including security personnel, injured in stone-pelting and resultant firing.
BSF said its troops had "restrained from firing and informed local police of the likelihood of deterioration in the situation due to violence by the locals."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar