BSF detects cross-border tunnel portion at IB, lodges protest
Jammu: The Border Security Force has detected a portion of a caved-in tunnel in Samba district, near the International Border, which is the latest alignment point of the 400-meter long cross-border tunnel which was found in July two years ago, BSF officials said on Saturday.
"A caved-in portion of a tunnel in Chillyari border belt in Samba district was found 23 meters away, inside Indian territory, from pillar number 170 on Zero-line on International Border, a few days back", senior BSF officers said today.
The tunnel was detected during clearing of the thick and tall bushes, which had come up on the Zero-line along the Indo-Pak border in Samba sector, they said.
Giving further details, they said, the tunnel`s dimension is 3x3 feet.
It is the latest alignment point of the 400-meter long cross-border tunnel which was found along the International Border on July 28, 2012, they added.
In this regard, BSF authorities have handed over a protest note to Pak Rangers over the tunnel issue, officials said.
The detection of caved-in-portion of this tunnel close to border has exposed Pakistan, that cross-border tunnel was dug from Pakistan side into the Indian territory to carry out infiltration and smuggling from across the border, which was denied by Pakistan in the past, they said.
Asked whether BSDF will take up the issue with Pakistan, a BSF Officer said "Director General of BSF will take a call on that what is to be done further".
"When we were trying to dig over the tunnel alignment towards Pakistan, troops from across the border fired on excavators and men and stopped us", he said.
BSF authorities on July 28, 2012 had detected a 400-meter tunnel into India from Pakistan along Indo-Pak Border in Chillyari forward belt of Samba district.
The tunnel was detected after an area caved-in a straight line at two to three places due to rains near border fencing near Chillayari Border Out Post (BoP) of BSF along International Border (IB) in Samba sector due.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video