CAG raps J&K Govt for sub-standard roads
Jammu: The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) has pulled up the Jammu and Kashmir Government for constructing sub-standard roads in the state.
"Out of 435 tests conducted by the Material Testing Laboratory Nagrota here for concrete and bituminous works, 110 tests showed that the material did not meet the requisite standards indicating that sub-standard works were executed by the Road and Buildings department," CAG said its report for the year 2011.
The CAG, in its report, also rapped the government for not setting up testing laboratories in all the districts to check the quality of road works.
It said that there are only two testing laboratories in the districts of Jammu and Udhampur due to which the quality of works in other districts could not be ensured.
"The material used for construction of roads is required to be tested to ensure quality standards. However, in 10 test-checked divisions, it was noticed that testing of material and works executed in the divisions, both Water bound Macadam (WBM) and Black Topping (BT) works, were not got done at any stage of execution," the report said.
NABCONS, the third party monitoring agency appointed by the State Government, in its report to the Government also had given adverse remarks on poor quality control and quality control arrangements for 23 schemes out of 34 schemes reported upon.
The report said that while physical and financial progress of schemes was monitored by the higher authorities through monthly progress reports, no system for conducting periodical physical inspection of works had been established by the Department due to which most of the schemes particularly funded by NABARD and CRF had not been completed within the prescribed time and cost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!