Can Modi deliver as many seats which NDA seems to lose: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Sunday said BJP needs to figure out whether Narendra Modi can deliver as many seats which the NDA seems to be losing with a key partner leaving the alliance.
"There was always this possibility that with the elevation of Narendra Modi, some of the allies in the NDA would be extremely uncomfortable. I believe now the challenge for BJP is, as they gradually lose allies, they will have to figure out whether Narendra Modi can deliver that many seats.
"Because if not, then their (BJP) dream of occupying the treasury benches in Parliament will remain unfulfilled," Omar told reporters here while reacting to Janata Dal (United)`s announcement of parting ways with the NDA.
Omar, whose party National Conference (NC) severed ties with NDA in 2003, said the split of JD(U) from the alliance is an advantage for the UPA.
"We were able to tie up with the NDA because it was headed by somebody like Atal Behari Vajpayee. Parties like mine could never dream of going in an alliance where the face that is to be projected, is the one that the BJP is working towards.
"I believe the same is true for a number of allies. You have seen the Chief Minister of Orissa, he has made a similar statement. The Chief Minister of West Bengal...They are all previous allies of NDA who will not go back to tying up with the BJP because of the face they are projecting. So clearly, with this sort of scenario, it is advantage UPA," Omar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral