Can Modi deliver as many seats which NDA seems to lose: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Sunday said BJP needs to figure out whether Narendra Modi can deliver as many seats which the NDA seems to be losing with a key partner leaving the alliance.
"There was always this possibility that with the elevation of Narendra Modi, some of the allies in the NDA would be extremely uncomfortable. I believe now the challenge for BJP is, as they gradually lose allies, they will have to figure out whether Narendra Modi can deliver that many seats.
"Because if not, then their (BJP) dream of occupying the treasury benches in Parliament will remain unfulfilled," Omar told reporters here while reacting to Janata Dal (United)`s announcement of parting ways with the NDA.
Omar, whose party National Conference (NC) severed ties with NDA in 2003, said the split of JD(U) from the alliance is an advantage for the UPA.
"We were able to tie up with the NDA because it was headed by somebody like Atal Behari Vajpayee. Parties like mine could never dream of going in an alliance where the face that is to be projected, is the one that the BJP is working towards.
"I believe the same is true for a number of allies. You have seen the Chief Minister of Orissa, he has made a similar statement. The Chief Minister of West Bengal...They are all previous allies of NDA who will not go back to tying up with the BJP because of the face they are projecting. So clearly, with this sort of scenario, it is advantage UPA," Omar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened