Canadian envoy`s vehicle was not target: Kashmir official
Srinagar: The Canadian envoy`s vehicle was not the target when stones were pelted while it was on way to a Kashmir resort, an official said.
A Jammu and Kashmir official denied that Canadian High Commissioner Stewart Beck`s vehicle was the target of stone throwers Saturday while the envoy was going to north Kashmir Gulmarg ski resort.
"It was a stray stone that hit the ambassador`s car while he along with his wife was going to Gulmarg on Saturday," a senior state government official told IANS.
"Some anti-social elements were trying to block the traffic on the Srinagar-Gulmarg road during a shutdown called by separatists while the envoy`s vehicle passed through Kunzar area...," he said.
"Window pane of the vehicle got smashed, because of which the ambassador`s wife received minor bruises," the official said.
"It would be misreporting facts if someone said it was an attack on the Canadian envoy as such," he added.
Officials of Canadian embassy in Delhi have said the vehicle in which the diplomat and his family were travelling was stoned twice Saturday at Kunzar on Srinagar-Gulmarg highway.
High Commissioner Stewart Beck, his wife Brenda Beck and their 14-year-old son were travelling in the vehicle when they were caught in stone pelting and some pieces of window panes hit Brenda and she received minor injury.
Police have, however, denied that there was any stone pelting in the area and said the stone that hit the envoy`s vehicle was thrown by somebody from an orchard along the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez