Cane charge on striking govt employees in J&K
Jammu: Police on Monday lathicharged government employees in Jammu and Kashmir when they tried to march towards Secretariat here in support of their demand for release of 6th Pay Commission arrears by the state government.
Total strike was observed for third consecutive day
in government offices, civil secretariat, PSUs and autonomous
bodies in connection with the call given by Joint Consultative
Committee (JCC), Employees Joint Action Committee (EJAC) and
Civil Secretariat Employees union (CSEU) in support of the
demand for release of pay commission arrears and enhancement
of retirement age from 58 to 60.
About 5,000 government employees assembled at City
Chowk under the banner of EJAC and JCC and marched towards the
Civil secretariat raising anti-government slogans.
However, heavy police force was deployed in and around
the civil secretariat -- the seat of power in J&K.
Led by SSP Jammu, Basant Rath, police intercepted the
employees and stopped them from moving to secretariat, police
said adding employees clashed with the police.
Police resorted to cane charge and teargas shelling on
employees resulting in minor injuries to five.
"We will continue the strike till the demands are
met," CSEU President Nazir Ahmed told reporters.
Members of opposition parties -- Chaman Lal Gupta of
BJP, Harsh Dev Singh of Panthers party (JKNPP) and M Y
Tarigami of CPI(M) charged the Omar Abdullah government with
total failure in the state assembly to break the deadlock with
"Over 4 lakh employees are on strike for the past
several days. Government is totally defunct. How can you run
the government," they said.
Making a statement, Finance Minister Abdul Rahim
Rather said state government has asked employees to shun the
path of confrontation.
He said government was sincere in fulfilling the
demands of employees but it depends on availability of funds.
"We had gone to 13th Finance commission with the
demand but it was turned down. Later, the Chief Minister met
Prime Minister and the process is going on," Rather said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM