Cannot reduce army presence in Kashmir: GOC
Srinagar: The Army on Friday ruled out reduction
in armed forces in Kashmir saying the terror infrastructure
was still intact on the other side of the Line of Control
where militants were waiting to infiltrate into the Valley.
"The situation cannot be normal as the (terror)
infrastructure and intent across the border is alive as also
their overground network in the Valley. In this scenario, we
cannot reduce the army presence," General Officer Commanding
of the Army`s 15 Corps Lt Gen S A Hasnain told reporters here.
He said with the melting of snow, infiltration bids are
likely to commence in the next few days but asserted that the
Army was ready to face the challenge.
Asked about the number of militants waiting to infiltrate,
the Army commander said it was difficult to give an exact
figure. "There can be 600 to 700 militants at the launch pads
but the number can increase or decrease," he added.
Earlier, Lt Gen Hasnain inaugurated a blood donation camp
- the latest in a series of the Army`s attempts to reach out
to the people of the Valley since he assumed charge of 15
In reply to a question, he lauded the cooperation between
the Army and the local administration in achieving peace in
"We are observing this year as the year of the Kashmiri
awaam (people)," he said.
The blood collected through this camp will be sent to all
major hospitals of the Valley including Sher-e-Kashmir
Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) at Soura, a defence
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened