Can’t implement J&K militants rehab policy: HM
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday
said there were "practical issues" in implementing Jammu and
Kashmir government`s rehabilitation policy for militants who
have crossed over to Pakistan occupied Kashmir.
"The government of Jammu and Kashmir has identified a
certain number of people who can be brought back to India
under the rehabilitation scheme. But there are number of
practical issues that have to be resolved," Home Minister P
Chidambaram today said in his monthly press briefing.
He said there were "very many practical issues" that
have to be resolved.
"After discussing with the Chief Minister of J and K, I
have asked the Home Ministry and External Affairs Ministry to
sit together to resolve the practical aspects of physically
bringing them (militants) to our side of the LoC and
rehabilitating them," he said.
A high level committee comprising representatives of
J-K government, MHA, Army and others had scrutinised the
applications of militants who wanted to return. After
verifying the antecedents of the militants who want to
surrender and live a peaceful life, it cleared 28 names of
nearly 700 application received by it.
The issue of return of Kashmiri youth from PoK shot to
prominence in 2006 when a delegation of leaders from J-K,
including Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and PDP chief Mehbooba
Mufti, went to Pakistan.
On the reports suggesting that thousands of militants are
waiting to cross over the Line of Control, Chidambaram said
these were "highly exaggerated" claims.
"To the best of my assessment it’s an exaggerated claim.
We know that there are certain number of people from the other
side of border or LoC who are ready to infiltrate but I think
that is a much smaller number," he said.
The Home Minister said,"I don`t think that this report is
correct that several thousand people have been trained to
infiltrate. I think this is a highly exaggerated report
whatever we know whatever we assess the armed forces, the
paramilitary forces and the JK police are fully competent to
deal with infiltration. They are in fact dealing with
He said even on Monday an infiltration attempt was foiled
and one attempted infiltrator was killed in Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi