`Can’t rule out involvement of criminals in terror`
Vessu (J&K): A top Army commander on Monday said involvement of "criminal elements" in militancy related violence cannot be ruled out.
"There have been two failed car bombing attempts at Army convoys and VIP vehicles in the Valley in last two months," General Officer Commanding of Srinagar based 15 Corps Lt Gen Syed Ata Hasnain told reporters here, 65-km from Srinagar.
On Friday evening, police detected a car fitted with multiple Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) on outskirts of the Srinagar city, Hasnain said.
"Militancy is neither on increase, nor decreasing, it is in a stable state," he said.
Lt Gen Hasnain said the involvement of "criminal elements in militancy related violence also cannot be ruled out."
Such militant attacks can only be prevented if the intelligence gathering is improved, General said while warning that "militants will continue to mount such attacks in the future."
There is lot of explosive material in the Valley. We are making recoveries, we will have to increase the intelligence (gathering) activity, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets