Case registered against CRPF unit in firing incident
Srinagar: A case has been registered against a CRPF unit for allegedly using "excessive force" against persons protesting hanging of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru that left one person dead and four others injured.
"An FIR has been registered against the personnel 92 Battalion CRPF in connection with the Watergam incident," Deputy Commissioner Baramulla G A Khwaja said.
The FIR under relevant sections of the law was registered yesterday, he said.
Two CRPF personnel have been detained for questioning following registration of the case in Dangiwacha police station, according to official sources.
Calls to CRPF spokesperson Sudhir Kumar seeking his response to the development were not immediately returned.
The FIR was lodged based on report submitted by Sub-Divisional Magistrate Nayeem Balkhi, the executive magistrate on duty during the curfew, who held that the CRPF personnel used "excessive force while dealing a minor stone-pelting incident", the sources said.
Balkhi, in his report, has said that the security forces could have resorted to baton charge to bring the situation under control, they said.
The sources said the Executive Magistrate has maintained that there was no permission given to the CRPF personnel for opening firing on the protesters.
One youth, Ubaid Mushtaq, was killed while four others were injured allegedly in security forces action on Sunday in Watergam village of Baramulla district against persons staging protest against hanging of Guru a day earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...