Ceasefire violation: Pakistan targets Indian forward posts, two wounded
Jammu: A BSF jawan was injured as Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire again, resorting to unprovoked and heavy firing and rocket attacks on three forward posts along the LoC in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir, prompting Indian troops to retaliate effectively.
Constable Mohmmad Abu Siddiqi was injured when Pakistan troops opened firing from heavy machine guns (HMGs) and rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) on Indian forward posts along LoC in Mendhar sub-sector of Poonch district 11:30pm, BSF officials said on Tuesday.
BSF troops guarding the forward belt retaliated by firing 98 rounds of medium machine guns (MMGs) and 34 grenades of AGL, resulting in exchanges which continued for few hours, officials said.
The injured jawan was hospitalised, they said, adding that splinters in his body have been removed and he is now out of danger.
"Pakistani troops also fired on Indian forward posts in Mendhar around 9:25pm last night," defence spokesperson, SN Acharya said, adding that India gave calibrated reply without any loss of life or injury to anyone.
On September 15, Pakistani troops violated ceasefire twice at night in Mandi and Garhi sectors of Poonch, with firing exchanges continuing next morning, and also fired on forward posts along the LoC in Mendhar sub-sector of Poonch from 06:25am to 10:00am on the same day.
There have been over 90 ceasefire violations by the Pakistani troops since January 1.
Six jawans were killed and 13 people injured in ceasefire violations and firing by Pakistani troops in forward posts, civilian areas and patrol parties along the border in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note