Ceasefire violations: Shinde promises befitting reply to Pakistan
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Wednesday said that a befitting reply would be given to Pakistan hours after its troops resorted to heavy shelling at Indian positions at more than 30 locations along the International Border killing one BSF jawan and injuring six others.
Talking to reporters, the Home Minister said, "I am reviewing the security situation along the Line of Control and the International Border. Additional BSF troops are being rushed to the Indo-Pakistan border, " adding, "we will give a befitting reply to Pakistan."
RPN Singh, Shinde`s deputy and MoS Home, also echoed a similar sentiment saying, "It`s very unfortunate that one of our jawan was killed. We will act accordingly, appropriate action will be taken."
The reaction from the two senior ministers came hours after it was reported that heavy firing from the Pakistan side late on Tuesday in the RS Pura and Pargawal sectors claimed the life of a BSF trooper and injured seven others.
The shelling from the Pakistan side continued for almost six hours throughout the night on Tuesday
The Pakistani troops fired mortars and rockets targeting BSF posts and nearby villages, reports said.
A senior police officer later told reporters that the BSF trooper and others who were injured came under heavy shelling by the Pakistan Rangers on Indian positions last night.
The Rangers violated ceasefire at 50 locations in the sector using 82 mm mortars, heavy weapons and automatics, a senior BSF officer confirmed.
The BSF also strongly retaliated to Pakistan firing and heavy shelling.
In view of the unprovoked firing and increased ceasefire violations from Pakistan, talks between the Director Generals of Military Operations (DGMOs) of the two countries have been put on hold for the time being.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif had agreed upon these talks when they met on the sidelines of the UN general body meeting in New York last month.
Reports claim that in view of rising incidents of ceasefire violations, the South Block is not keen to go ahead with the DGMO-level talks between the two sides.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had on Tuesday visited Jammu to take stock of the situation arising from the repeated ceasefire violations by Pakistan Rangers on the international border.
After his interaction with BSF jawans, the Home Minister said provocations from Pakistan won`t be tolerated.
On Monday, Army Chief General Bikram Singh met Defence Minister AK Antony to discuss the situation at the Line of Control and the border.
Till date this year, there have been over 200 incidents of ceasefire violations. In 2012, there were 117 incidents of unprovoked firing by Pakistani soldiers.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach