Census figures belie J&K govt`s claim of development: BJP
Jammu: The BJP on Tuesday said the Census data of Jammu and Kashmir "belied" the ruling NC-Congress alliance`s claims of development having improved socio-economic situation in the state during its tenure.
"The figures released by Census department (last month) belie the NC-Congress coalition government`s claims of development having improved employment or overall socio- economic scenario in Jammu and Kashmir during the past five years of its tenure.
"On the contrary, statistical evidence shows that the reverse is true," BJP national executive member and state chief spokesperson, Dr Jitendra Singh, said in a statement here.
"The statistics show that out of a population of 1.25 crore, only 43 lakh are employed while the rest of 82 lakh are unemployed. This is notwithstanding government`s initiatives like Sher-e-Kashmir Employment Scheme, Consolidated Salary Job Scheme, Fast Track recruitment Policy," he said.
The BJP leader said the figures revealed that during the tenure of the present coalition government, the dependency ratio has increased.
He said 67 percent literacy rate of the state was far less than that in neighbouring states of Punjab and Haryana. "What happened to the ruling party`s promise of providing education to all?"
Singh also flayed the government for the declining sex ratio in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video