Centre considering amendments to AFSPA: PC
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday said his position on controversial AFSPA in Jammu and Kashmir has not changed and the Centre is considering three amendments proposed by his ministry to the Act.
The Home Ministry has proposed three amendments to the Armed Forces Special Powers Act and the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) is considering them, Chidambaram said.
"There is no change in the position. MHA`s position is that the Act must be amended and we have proposed three amendments to the Act which is under consideration of the CCS," he said.
There is a growing clamour for the Act, which gives special powers to Army, to be amended or withdrawn and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah is leading the campaign for its revocation.
"Position of several people is that the Act must be repealed," the Home Minister said.
Chidambaram also said that the state government wants some areas in the state, which are designated as disturbed areas under the Act, to be withdrawn from the purview of the Act before the amendments take place.
"The position of the government of Jammu and Kashmir is that pending the amendment of the Act in respect of some areas a notification declaring those areas as disturbed areas should be withdrawn. So these are well known positions. So we have to see how to go forward," he said.
Omar has been strongly advocating that the process of revoking AFSPA be started by lifting it from peaceful areas where the army has no operations.
The Chief Minister has proposed districts like Jammu, Samba and Kathua in the Jammu region and Srinagar and Badgam in the Kashmir Valley, where form the start can be made.
Army is against any move to change the status quo on the Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India