Centre keen to see J&K progressing: Seth
Srinagar: A central team led by Union
Cabinet Secretary Ajit Kumar Seth on Monday assured the Jammu and
Kashmir government of full support for comprehensive
development of the state.
"Union government is keen to see Jammu and Kashmir
progressing in all sectors. We assure full central support to
the state for comprehensive development," Seth said chairing
the joint meeting of Union Secretaries and State
Administrative Secretaries here.
The meeting came hours after Seth met Chief Minister
Omar Abdullah and discussed issues pertaining to economic
development in the state.
"During the meeting (between Omar and Seth), matters
relating to the flagship programmes and centrally-sponsored
schemes came up for a detailed discussion," an official
spokesman said after the meeting.
The Chief Minister said this year`s peaceful summer
had resulted in a highly successful tourist season,
particularly in the Valley.
It also contributed to fast-tracking development works
and reaching out the benefits of the schemes to people across
the state, Omar said.
On holding of peaceful, free and fair panchayat
elections in the state this year, after a gap of about 30
years, he said the government was committed to establishing a
powerful panchayat system.
"All the three levels of Panchayat Raj will be made
functional over the next couple of months," he said.
The Chief Minister said the state government was
determined to hold elections to urban local bodies during the
current financial year to ensure the transfer of powers at
grassroot level and active association of the people with the
The central team arrived here yesterday and had a
detailed discussion with Governor N N Vohra on the internal
and external security management of the state, the spokesman
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez
- Oil Tankers Association calls off strike in Jammu ?
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- 'Mohenjo Daro' collections: Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde's period drama rakes in Rs 55 cr so far!
- Japan protests to Russia over man detained on disputed island