Centre should take steps for reconciliation: PDP
Srinagar: Opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) on Tuesday asked the Centre to take steps including release of political prisoners and withdrawal of cases against those arrested during last year`s summer unrest to create an atmosphere of reconciliation in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Since Home Minister (P Chidambaram) is closely monitoring the situation here, he should take steps to release the persons arrested last year and withdraw cases against the 5,000 youth who took part in last year`s protests," PDP President Mehbooba Mufti told reporters after a meeting of the party`s executive.
She said these steps can be a starting point for creating an atmosphere of reconciliation in the state with the aim of finding a solution to the problem.
"Those who were booked last year were not militants with guns. They were just protesting under their democratic rights," she said.
Referring to the calm in the Valley this summer, Mehbooba said it was the lull before the storm if the present policies of the state government continued.
She also said her party welcomes the latest round of talks between New Delhi and Islamabad and hopes that they would substantially address the Kashmir issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla