Centre unveils Rs 10,000 cr road projects for J&K
Anantnag (Srinagar): Unveiling Rs 10,000
crore road projects for Jammu & Kashmir that include two
strategic tunnels -- Quazigund-Banihal and Chenani-Nashri to
provide all weather connectivity to the state with the rest of
the country, the Centre on Monday said it is committed to rapid
growth of the region.
"UPA government is committed to the rapid development of
Jammu & Kashmir government has taken up road and rail projects
worth Rs 30,000 crore. This will be a boost to the state?s
economy as it will promote trade and tourism here," Road
Transport and Highways Minister C P Joshi said while laying
foundation stone of 8.45 km tunnel between Quazigund and
The Banihal tunnel, part of Rs 1,987 crore
Quazigund-Banihal project on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway
is one of the largest road tunnels in India and the first of
its kind to be taken up on public-private-partnership mode.
The tunnel on completion will make the highway, which
remains closed for over 40 days in a year due to snow-fall, an
It will also reduce the distance between Banihal and
Srinagar by 16 km besides giving a boost to the trade in the
The tunnel will also have an emergency lane and a
provision for emergency cross passages besides proper
ventilation. Apart from the 8.45 km tunnel, a 0.69 km tunnel
will also be built there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department