Centre will not beg before separatists for talks: Abdullah
Srinagar: Union Minister Farooq Abdullah on Saturday said the willingness expressed by moderate Hurriyat Conference for resuming dialogue was welcome but the Centre will not beg before the separatists for talks.
"It is a welcome development but the government will not come with a begging bowl before the Hurriyat for talks," Abdullah told reporters after paying homage to his father and National Conference founder Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah on his 30th death anniversary at Naseembagh graveyard.
Abdullah was responding to a question if the Centre would initiate talks with separatists after moderate Hurriyat Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq expressed willingness to enter a dialogue process while addressing Friday congregation at Jamia Masjid.
Mirwaiz had, however, said the Centre should accept Hurriyat`s four points - withdrawal of troops from the Valley, repeal of laws like AFSPA and PSA, release of political prisoners and end to alleged human rights violations - for creating conducive atmosphere for the talks.
"They should initiate the process on their own if they want to resolve the problems of the people," Abdullah said, adding that Kashmir will always remain a part of India.
The Union Minister said Kashmir issue has been there for many years and it cannot be resolved overnight. "Resolution of Kashmir issue will take time," he said.
On the Indo-Pakistan foreign ministers` talks in Islamabad, the NC leader expressed hope that the two countries will initiate confidence building measures, including liberalisation of visa regime and starting banking and communication facilities for cross-LoC trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says