Checks on students attending Kashmir convocation
Srinagar: Intelligence sleuths are checking out the backgrounds of students and scholars attending the 18th convocation of the Kashmir University to be addressed by President Pranab Mukherjee Thursday.
Many of the 214 student toppers and 234 PhD and M.Phil scholars will be awarded their medals and degrees at the convocation.
Most have have already registered themselves. But given the security drill associated with a presidential visit, local intelligence and police are making enquiries about their backgrounds.
Although no intelligence official agreed to go on record, many registered students said sleuths had visited their homes, asking questions about their family backgrounds and verifying other details.
Mukherjee arrives here Wednesday on his first visit to Jammu and Kashmir after taking office.
The university`s banned students union has announced a boycott of the convocation. It has asked students to wear black bands and hoist black flags to protest the visit.
A big concern for authorities is the past experience of many refusing to stand up when the national anthem is played.
"No disrespect to the national anthem will be tolerated and those attending the convocation have been advised to ensure that the dignity and the protocol during the high profile visit are observed in letter and spirit," said an official of the university who asked not to be named.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon