Checks on students attending Kashmir convocation
Srinagar: Intelligence sleuths are checking out the backgrounds of students and scholars attending the 18th convocation of the Kashmir University to be addressed by President Pranab Mukherjee Thursday.
Many of the 214 student toppers and 234 PhD and M.Phil scholars will be awarded their medals and degrees at the convocation.
Most have have already registered themselves. But given the security drill associated with a presidential visit, local intelligence and police are making enquiries about their backgrounds.
Although no intelligence official agreed to go on record, many registered students said sleuths had visited their homes, asking questions about their family backgrounds and verifying other details.
Mukherjee arrives here Wednesday on his first visit to Jammu and Kashmir after taking office.
The university`s banned students union has announced a boycott of the convocation. It has asked students to wear black bands and hoist black flags to protest the visit.
A big concern for authorities is the past experience of many refusing to stand up when the national anthem is played.
"No disrespect to the national anthem will be tolerated and those attending the convocation have been advised to ensure that the dignity and the protocol during the high profile visit are observed in letter and spirit," said an official of the university who asked not to be named.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!