Chhari Mubarak taken to Shankaracharya temple for prayers
Srinagar: `Chhari Mubarak`, the saffron-robed holy mace of Lord Shiva, was taken to the historic Shankaracharya temple here for prayers as part of the ongoing Amarnath yatra.
Mahant Deependra Giri, the custodian of the mace, carried the Chhari Mubarak from its abode Dashnami Akhara at Badshah Chowk to Shankaracharya temple this morning, officials said.
Accompanied by a group of sadhus and pilgrims, Giri offered special prayers to the mace at the temple, coinciding with `Shravan-Amavasya` (Haryali-Amavasya) as per age-old traditions.
"Pujan was performed at the temple amid chanting of vedic hymns by the participants during prayers that lasted for more than an hour," the officials said.
`The True Trust`, founded in year 2004 by Mahant Deependra Giri, said all the necessary arrangements would be made for sadhus and the needy coming from across the country to join Chhari-Mubarak Swami Amarnath Ji Yatra.
Chhari Mubarak will be taken to `Sharika-Bhawani` Temple at Hari Parvat in interior city tomorrow to pay obeisance to the Goddess ahead of its joining the Amarnath yatra later this month.
The yatra commenced on June 25 from the twin tracks-- traditional 45-km Pahalgam route in Anantnag district and 16km Baltal route in Ganderbal district and is scheduled to end on August 2 with the arrival of the Chhari mubarak at the 3,880 metre high holy cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas on the occasion of Raksha Bhandan festival.
So far over five lakh pilgrims have offered prayers at the cave shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof