Chill returns to Kashmir Valley as mercury dips
Srinagar: After a brief respite, cold wave conditions returned to trouble Kashmir as night temperatures dipped below freezing point across the Valley, even as the weatherman predicted snowfall on Wednesday.
According to the MeT department, minimum temperatures, which had been rising till yesterday, plummeted across the Valley, including at the summer capital of Srinagar which recorded a low of -0.4 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s 1.6 degrees Celsius.
The weather over the last three days had brought relief from the long spell of intense cold after a change in temperatures following snowfall in the Valley on Saturday.
The highway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir recorded a low of -0.5 degrees Celsius, which was almost two notches below yesterday`s 1.8 degrees Celsius, the Met said.
Kokernag, too, was -0.5 degrees Celsius at night, registering an identical slide with Qazigund.
The north Kashmir town of Kupwara saw the mercury dip to -0.3 degree Celsius, a full degree below yesterday`s 0.3 degrees Celsius.
The minimum night temperature at the hill resort of Pahalgam had fallen by over three notches from yesterday`s 0 degrees Celsius to -3.4 degrees Celsius.
The ski resort of Gulmarg, however, was over a degree warmer at -7.0, as compared to yesterday`s -8.6 degrees Celsius.
The cold desert of Ladakh reported a minimum of -11.6 degrees Celsius as night temperatures increased slightly in the region where Kargil saw the mercury up by about two notches from -16.4 degrees Celsius the night before.
However, that could not keep it from still being the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir with a low of -14.6 degrees Celsius.
The forecast for tomorrow is for light to heavy snowfall in the late afternoon which may continue till January 19 and likely bring down night temperatures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Bizarre! Saudi man sexually assaults maid, wife faces jail