China undertaking infrastructure development in Tibet: Army
Jammu: Maintaining that necessary steps
have been initiated for addressing national security concerns,
Army has said China is undertaking infrastructure development
programme in the Tibet Autonomous Region which includes
construction of roads, railways and airfields.
"It is understood China is undertaking infrastructure
development programme in TAR including construction of roads,
railways and airfields," an Army report said.
It said the total road network in TAR was assessed at
58,000 kms in 2010, adding the extension of Qinghai Tibet
Railway to Xigaze by the Chinese is also in progress.
"Another railway line from Kashgar to Hotan in
Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region (XUAR) is under construction
by the Chinese," the report said.
Five airfields in TAR -- Gongar, Pangta, Linchi,
Hoping and Gar Gunsa -- have become operational, a Defence
spokesman quoting the report said.
Necessary steps are being taken to ensure that
national security concerns are adequately addressed through
development of infrastructure including rail, roads and
forward air fields as well as operational capabilities of the
armed forces, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself