Chinks in Mirwaiz-led Hurriyat Conference?
Srinagar: Chinks appeared in the Mirwaiz Umer Farooq-led moderate Hurriyat group on Monday a day after a statement made by another senior leader of the group.
A group of Hurriyat constituents on Monday criticised the statement made by Abdul Gani Bhat, former chairman and senior leader of the moderate group of Hurriyat, in which he said the United Nations resolutions on Kashmir are no longer applicable.
"The National Conference talks of autonomy and the People`s Democratic Party (PDP) talks of self-rule. Why should not we move together with a common minimum political agenda and push it ahead," Bhat told a separatist public meeting Sunday in Batengoo, Sopore.
Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Molvi Abbas Ansari, Bilal Lone and Mukhtar Ahmad Waza were also present at the meeting.
Speaking at a press conference Monday, Muhammad Nayeem Khan of National Front told reporters that those who want to redirect or misdirect the separatist struggle have no place in the Hurriyat Conference, an obvious dig at Bhat and Mirwaiz Umer.
"They have no mandate to redirect or misdirect the movement. The Hurriyat has a constitution and those who do not follow the constitution have no place in the Hurriyat Conference," Nayeem Khan said.
Khan added that the ruling National Conference and the PDP were talking of autonomy and the self-rule to consolidate India`s rule in Kashmir
"If they want to be part of the freedom movement they must follow the Hurriyat constitution. There is no solution to the Kashmir problem without giving the people their inalienable right of self-determination.
"If some leaders are now tired, they must step aside and allow the people to take their struggle to logical conclusion."
Also present at the press conference were Muhammad Azam Inquilabi of Mahazi-e-Azadi, Javaid Ahmad Mir of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF-H), Bashir Ahmad Bhat of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) and Hilal War of People`s Political Party.
Inquilabi said he did not favour any split in the moderate Hurriyat, but would favour the role of opposition within the Hurriyat Conference.
Asked if the group of Hurriyat leaders opposing the statement made by Bhat could be called Hurriyat dissidents, Inquilabi said: "You have used the right word."
"It is time a resistance council is formed where all freedom-seeking parties have equal rights to speak and participate in debate and discussion aimed at giving the struggle a new soul and vigour," Inquilabi told a news agency.
He also said that Bhat lacked political acumen and the ball was now in the court of Mirwaiz to come clean on the issue and clear the "confusion created by Bhat`s statement".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now