CITU activists court arrest in Jammu
Jammu: Central of Indian Trade Union (CITU) activists courted arrest after staging a demonstration here today in favour of its ten point charter of demands including efforts to check price rise and enforcement of labour laws.
Led by their state president MY Tarigami, over 400 CITU workers, as a part of its `Jail Bharo` protest, took out a rally from Vikram Chowk and after traversing through various city areas courted arrest at Indira Chowk.
In the protest, over 90 CITU activists including Tarigami courted arrest, sources said.
CITU activists held the Centre and the state government responsible for the problems faced by the people.
Tarigami said the government should curb the price rise and universalise the public distribution system and impose complete ban on speculation and future trading in commodity market which alone can contain the rising prices.
More than 93 per cent of country?s work force is in the unorganised sector but they have been kept outside the purview of most of the labour laws and do not have any protection in respect of working hours, minimum wages, social security and job security despite contributing around 65 per cent to the nation`s GDP, he said.
Tarigami demanded complete stoppage of disinvestment of shares in profit making state and central PSUs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days