CITU workers hold protest rally in support of their demands
Jammu: CITU workers on Wednesday held a protest rally in Jammu against alleged neglect of their demands by the Centre.
This is in continuation of a joint struggle on the ten-point charter of demands on which a countrywide 48 hours general strike was observed on February 20 and 21, CITU state secretary M Parkash said while addressing the rally.
CITU has taken a key role in opposing neo-liberal policies and government should curb price rise, introduce universal public distribution system and a complete ban on speculation and future trading in commodity market, he said.
More than 93 per cent of country`s workforce is in the unorganised sector, but have been kept outside the purview of most labour laws and do not have any protection in respect of working hours, minimum wages, social security and above all any kind of job security despite contributing around 65 per cent to the country`s GDP, he said.
The ten-point charter of demands also included enforcement of labour laws, social security for unorganised sector workers, pension for all, equal wages and benefits to contract workers, ensuring the Right to Organisation and Collective Bargaining, removal of ceiling of bonus and compulsory registration of trade unions within a period of 45 days, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video