Civil Society delegation to assess situation in Kishtwar
Jammu: A five-member J&K Civil Society delegation will visit Kishtwar district to take stock of the situation and to know the exact course of events on August 9, that led to a clash and subsequent violence.
The date of visit of the delegation would be announced after consultations, according to a J&K Civil Society release.
The Society today organised a seminar on "Kishtwar: Reminiscent of Kashmir 1931".
Speakers in the seminar expressed their shock and dismay at the violence perpetrated on the minority Hindu community.
The systematic manner in which shops, houses and other properties of the minority community were burnt and vandalised is reminiscent of happenings of 1931 in Kashmir, they said.
In 1931, the Hindu minorities of Kashmir were similarly subjected to violence and mayhem on a large scale, leaving behind a trail of death and destruction.
The speakers said the whole exercise of engineering the Kishtwar conspiracy is aimed at disbanding the Village Defence Committees (VDCs) and thus endangering the safety and security of the hapless minorities in Kishtwar.
The speakers included two MLAs -- Ashwani Sharma and Balwant Singh Mankotia, eminent intellectual Dr Jitendra Singh and RL Kaul, an expert on the subject.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video