Civilian killed in Kashmir firing; mobs protest
Srinagar: A civilian was killed and five people were injured in a village in Jammu and Kashmir`s Shopian district when the Army fired at suspected militants Saturday, police said.
Troops from the 53 Rashtriya Rifles laid an ambush near Chewan Keller village. "On noticing some movement, they opened fire, killing a civilian and wounding another," a senior police officer said.
As news about the killing spread, mobs took to streets shouting anti-India slogans. The protestors stoned passing Army vehicles and torched two of them.
Soldiers escorting a convoy opened fire injuring four more villagers, one of them critically. The injured were taken to Srinagar for specialised treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30