Civilian killed in Kashmir firing; mobs protest
Srinagar: A civilian was killed and five people were injured in a village in Jammu and Kashmir`s Shopian district when the Army fired at suspected militants Saturday, police said.
Troops from the 53 Rashtriya Rifles laid an ambush near Chewan Keller village. "On noticing some movement, they opened fire, killing a civilian and wounding another," a senior police officer said.
As news about the killing spread, mobs took to streets shouting anti-India slogans. The protestors stoned passing Army vehicles and torched two of them.
Soldiers escorting a convoy opened fire injuring four more villagers, one of them critically. The injured were taken to Srinagar for specialised treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation