Clashes in Sopore after Geelani`s public meeting
Srinagar: Clashes broke out between groups of youth and law enforcing agencies in Sopore township of Baramulla district immediately after Chairman of hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani addressed a public meeting today, his first in more than a year.
Groups of youth indulged in stone pelting on police and CRPF deployments in Sopore town, prompting security forces to resort to baton charge and teargas?shelling to bring the situation under control, police sources said.
They said none was hurt in the clashes which continued for sometime and took place soon after Geelani addressed a public meeting.
Geelani visited his home town Sopore, 50 km from here, and offered prayers at Jamia Masjid.
He also led a rally in the town, first after about nine months of restrictions on his movement were lifted by the authorities earlier this week.
He visited the house of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, who was hanged in Delhi`s Tihar jail in February, in the town.
Geelani asked people to boycott the forthcoming Lok Sabha and Assembly elections scheduled to be held next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra