Clashes in Srinagar, Hurriyat leaders under house arrest
Srinagar: At least 25 people, including 10
policemen, were injured on Monday in clashes between stone pelting
youths protesting against the killing of teenager and police
in several parts of the city even as several Hurriyat leaders
were put under house arrest ahead of their planned march.
Police fired tear gas shells and used batons on youths
who pelted stones and bricks on them in Saidakadal, the native
place of 17-year-old Tufail Ahmad Mattoo whose death in a
clash between security forces and stone pelting protesters
last week has sparked protests in the Valley, and other areas.
Clashes also occurred in Rainawari, Bemina, Kralpora
and Tengpora areas, official sources said, adding 25 people
including 10 policemen were injured in the violence.
People also took out processions against the killing of
Mattoo in Anantnag town of South Kashmir, Baramulla and Sopore
towns of North Kashmir but the protesters dispersed
Chairman of moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference
Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and other leaders of the amalgam were
placed under house arrest by authorities, which imposed
restrictions on the movement of people to foil separatists`
planed march to express solidarity with the family of the
The Mirwaiz accused the police of adopting dilly
dallying tactic on ascertaining the cause of death of Tufail.
Attacking the NC-led coalition government, he said it
has failed to arrest "lawlessness and state terrorism in the
"Police is deliberately adopting dilly dallying tactic
to cover its misdeeds with regard to killing of the teenager
Tufail", he said in a statement.
Normal life continued to be disrupted in the city for
the third consecutive day with markets, banks, educational
institutions and semi-government establishments remaining
closed and traffic off the roads. Authorities also cancelled
examinations scheduled for the day in the Kashmir Valley.
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match