Cloudburst hits Amarnath shrine; last batch left
Srinagar/Jammu: A cloudburst on Sunday hit the rear side of the holy cave shrine of Amarnath in south
Kashmir Himalayas but there was no report of any casualty.
"Today in the afternoon, a cloudburst was reported to hit the rear side of the holy cave mountain triggering a
sudden rise in the water-level of the stream flowing near the
area," a police spokesman said.
Three tents were damaged in the incident but there was no loss of life, he said, adding people were evacuated to safety.
The last batch of 77 pilgrims today left from Jammu
for onward journey to the cave shrine.
The yatra is set to conclude in the next two days.
The batch comprising of 47 men, 29 women and 1 child
left from the base camp of Bhagwati Nagar in two buses around
1000 hours, officials said.
The last batch of pilgrims is expected to reach to the
base camps at Baltal and Nunwan in Pahalgam by the evening
despite inclement weather.
Traffic was plying on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway
despite rains at various places along the arterial road.
With today`s batch, as many as 87,215 pilgrims from
different parts of the country have left from here to the
3888 metre high cave shrine since its commencement on June 30.
Around 4.55 lakh pilgrims have visited the shrine till
Over 32,000 pilgrims, meanwhile, have performed
darshan at the shrine of Budha Amarnath in Mandi area of
Poonch district since the yatra started on August 13.
Officials said that the holy mace for Budha Amarnath
will leave from Dashnami Akhara Mandir in Poonch town after
traditional pooja tomorrow.
After a one-day halt of `charri mubarak` (holy mace)
at Mandi, the hawan will be performed at Budha Amarnath temple
on August 24, they said, adding the mace will return to Poonch
on August 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof